Blogger WidgetsPrint Blogger Widgets

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Study in Belgium at a Glance


        Facts you know  about Belgium

  • Official name: Kingdom of Belgium
  • Capital city: Brussels – the headquarters of the European Union (EU) and the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), amongst others
  • Constitutional monarchy, parliamentary democracy  and unique federal government
  • Federal government situated in the bilingual Brussels region – official languages: French and Dutch
  • The Flemish region (Flanders), the Walloon region (Wallonia) and the Brussels-Capital region each have autonomous regional administrations.
  • Language communities: the Flemish Community in the north (official language: Dutch), the French Community in the south (official language: French) and the German-speaking Community in the east (official language: German)
  • Borders with France, Germany, Luxembourg, the Netherlands and the North Sea
  • Major exports include machinery and electrical equipment, chemicals, finished diamonds, metals and metal products, and foodstuffs.
  • Known for delicious chocolates, waffles, French fries and a huge selection of beers
  • Currency: Euro (€)
  • Major religion: Christianity (Roman Catholic, Protestant)
  • Education is compulsory to age 18.
  • Among OECD countries in 2002, Belgium had the third highest proportion of 18- to 21-year-olds enrolled in post-secondary education.
  • An estimated 99% of the adult population is literate.
  • Home to 35 UNESCO World Heritage Sites
  • More castles per square mile than any other country
  • Blankenberge in the Flemish region hosts the largest sand sculpture festival in the world.
  • Internet domain: .be
  • International dialing code: +32

Applying to universities in Belgium

In order to apply to study in Belgium at undergraduate level, you must hold a secondary school leaving certificate that is recognized by the relevant authorities, or an equivalence statement for that certificate. There are different authorities to contact for equivalence statements, depending on whether you’re applying to attend a university in the French Communityin the Flemish Community, or in the German-speaking Community.
Applications to study in Belgium are submitted individually to each university, and specific admissions requirements are set by each institution. In general, those wanting to study medicine/dentistry, arts, management and (only in the French Community) engineering sciences must take an entrance exam. You may also need to take an exam to prove your proficiency in French or Dutch. You’ll also need to pay your tuition fees before you can be fully enrolled.

Tuition fees in Belgium

For Belgian students and students from the EU, higher education is financed mostly by the public authorities. Nonetheless, students must pay an annual registration fee, for every year of their studies. The amount varies depending on the higher education institution, the type of program and students’ eligibility for financial aid.
International students from outside the EU may need to pay additional registration fees – again, the amount depends on the chosen institution and degree program. You can obtain specific information about the total fees amount by contacting your chosen institution(s). Tuition fees in Belgium can be as little as €80 (US$108) for a student receiving a bursary, and can reach around €830 (US$1,120) per year for non-bursary students.

Student accommodation in Belgium

Accommodation in Belgium is readily available for short-term or international students; however, if you wish to rent a private flat, it’s often necessary to sign a one-year contract. Expect to pay between €150 (US$200) and €400 (US$540) per month, depending on whether you prefer university housing or private accommodation, and depending on where in Belgium you study.

Home-stays are also popular in Belgium, and give students a chance to learn about Belgian culture first-hand, while possibly improving their language skills. However, this option is more commonly used by short-term students who are, for example, studying in a language school. Contact your university’s student support services or international student department for further information on finding student accommodation in Belgium

How to Get a Student Visa for Belgium

If you’re hoping to study in Belgium, you may need to apply for a visa, depending on where you’re from and the length of your course. Find out if you need a student visa for Belgium how to apply, and what documents you’ll be asked for.

Do you need a visa to study in Belgium?

Students from a European Union Member State or from a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) are not required to obtain a student visa in order to study in Belgium. They are, however, required to carry a 
 identity card, which they must present to the customs officer on arrival to Belgium. If you are a student from the 
, you must still fulfill certain criteria to study in Belgium, which include:
  • Enrollment at an approved university/educational institution,
  • Sufficient income to live in Belgium without needing income support,
  • Comprehensive health cover.
If you are a citizen of a country that does not belong to the EU, you may need a student visa to gain entry to Belgium. Students from some countries (such as the US) are not required to obtain a visa for Belgium if their stay is no longer than 90 days.
Students from the People’s Republic of China must obtain an academic evaluation certificate issued by the Academic Assessment Centre (APS) before being authorized to enroll in a higher education institution in Belgium. This APS certificate is required to obtain a student visa for Belgium. The examination consists of a technical assessment of your diploma and an interview. In certain cases, you can be exempted from this interview.
How can you apply for a student visa for Belgium?
Before applying for a student visa for Belgium, you first need to be accepted onto a course at an accredited educational institution, and pay the registration fees (this will be refunded if your visa application is rejected). If you are an international student, you will then need to contact your nearest Belgian embassy or consulate in your country. The embassy will help you determine whether you need a student visa, and will guide you through the visa application.
All the information concerning Belgian visa applications can be found on the website of the Foreigners Department of the Federal Public Service (FPS) for Home Affairs, available to read in French, Dutch and English. As an international student, you’ll need to apply for a national long-stay visa (D visa), which allows you to stay longer than 90 days in Belgium.
The procedure to obtain a visa for Belgium varies depending on the Belgian consulate or embassy you use. In general, however, you’ll need to fill in a visa application form and submit an application fee along with all the required documents (see below). Applicants from some countries may need to make an appointment with their consulate or embassy in order to make their application. It is also possible that some consulates may work with an external service provider who carries out most of the administration tasks – an additional service fee will be charged in this case.
What are the student visa requirements for Belgium?
To fulfill student visa requirements for Belgium, you’ll need to provide the following documents:
  • A completed and signed visa application form (you may need to bring more than one)
  • A passport or similar travel document valid for more than 12 months. In some countries it’s required for the passport to be no more than 10 years old, and have two empty consecutive pages facing each other.
  • Proof that you have sufficient financial income or support for the duration of your stay. This must cover your healthcare, living, study and accommodation costs as well as the cost of your return ticket. This can be in the form of a certificate stating you have received a grant or scholarship, an agreement of financial responsibility from your sponsor, or your personal bank statement showing sufficient funds.
  • A medical certificate stating you don’t carry any diseases that may endanger public health (such as TB, diseases that require quarantine and other infectious diseases)
  • A police certificate of good conduct confirming that you don’t have any prior convictions (if you are aged over 21). If you’re from the US, you’ll probably need an FBI background check, which can take up to five months to obtain.
Student visa requirements for Belgium also include proof of your student status and study plans. For this, you may need:
  • Proof of registration at a recognized higher education institution in Belgium (must cover a full-time course of study, suggesting that the candidate’s main activity in Belgium is studying)
  • Application for an equivalence certificate for a diploma or certificate conferred abroad (only required for French Community education)
  • Original and certified copy of your diploma, certificate or baccalaureate from your secondary education, and the academic record from your last year of secondary education
  • Copy of all diplomas and certificates obtained since the end of your secondary education
  • An employer’s statement underlining the necessary for you to pursue higher education as part of your work (more likely to apply to postgraduate students)
  • Documentation giving a brief description of the courses organized by your institution of choice, with a short explanation comparing those courses to courses organized in your country of origin
All documents in a language other than German, French, English or Dutch must be translated by a sworn translator, legalized as a separate document in your country of origin, and legalized again by the Belgian consulate or embassy you go to. Your consulate or embassy may ask for other documents not mentioned here, depending on your country of origin.
You will also need to provide a supporting letter explaining why you have chosen the particular course, why you have chosen to study in Belgium, and how your choices will benefit you. You must demonstrate that you have sufficient knowledge of the language in which you intend to study, by providing either proof of passing an internationally recognized language proficiency exam or a certificate issued at the end of education in your chosen language.
You can track your visa application using your reference number and the location of your chosen consulate or embassy. The Belgian consulate or embassy considers visa applications on a case-by-case basis and has the exclusive decision to accept or refuse your visa. You may appeal against this decision if you wish.
If the embassy or consulate you have applied to is unable to process your student visa application for some reason, they may suggest you apply for a tourist visa, which is easier for them to issue. If so, make sure they give you a written statement showing that they advised you to apply for a tourist visa, as this statement will allow you to exchange your tourist visa for a student visa once you’re in Belgium, and allow you to register at your chosen higher education institution.

Arrival in Belgium

All students (including those from the EU) must go to the local municipal administration within eight days of arrival in Belgium. You will then be issued with a residence permit which allows you to stay in Belgium and also allows you entrance to theSchengen States without a visa for a period not exceeding three months. You can apply to renew your residence permit yearly, approximately 30 to 45 days before its expiry date.
For More information about belgium and scholarships follow our previous post. 
Wait- more information will added soon ......


  1. wow awesome..
    very lovely information...
    thanks you so much for sharing a great blog ..

    All inclusive student accommodation in Manchester | Vita First Street Manchester

  2. That a great chance for Bangladeshi student to get admission in
    Belgium .thanks for your work out its will be help to us in our educational life .

    Student apartments in Manchester
    Best student apartments in Manchester
    Quality student accommodation in Manchester
    Registered Manchester Met University accommodation

  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

  4. How about the chances of work permit after finishing masters in Belgium? Do they provide an extension of visa for job searching or establishing a solo business? If they do, then for how many months? Or Do I have to come back to my home country? I want to settle there after study....


সাম্প্রতিক পোষ্টসমূহ - Recent Posts




আমাকে ফলো করুন >>

Total Visitors

^ Back ToTop